About Us

Lafarge Umiam Mining Pvt. Ltd., (LUMPL), a company incorporated in Meghalaya, India, under the Indian Companies Act, 1956, is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lafarge Surma Cement Ltd (LSC), a company incorporated in Bangladesh under the laws of Bangladesh. LSC was set up as a cross border cement manufacturing project. In November 2000, the two Governments of India and Bangladesh signed a historic agreement through exchange of letters in order to support this unique project and till date it is the only cross-border industrial project between the two countries. The agreement provides for uninterrupted supply of limestone to the cement plant at Chhatak in Bangladesh by a 17km long conveyor belt from the quarry located at Nongtrai in the state of Meghalaya.

The project has been financed by Lafarge Group of France, world leader in building materials, Cementos Molins of Spain, leading Bangladeshi business houses together with International Finance Corporation (IFC – The World Bank Group), the Asian Development Bank (ADB), German Development Bank (DEG), European Investment Bank (EIB), and the Netherlands Development Company (FMO).

One of the major sponsors, Lafarge Group holds world’s top-ranking position in Cement, Aggregates & Concrete and Gypsum, with about 78,000 employees in 78 countries. Lafarge was founded in France in 1833. Through the years since its inception, it has been growing steadily to take lead in the production of different kinds of construction materials and has established itself as the world leader in construction material business. In 2010, for the sixth consecutive year, Lafarge has been listed as one of the 100 most sustainable companies in the world.
Another major sponsor, Cementos Molins, based in Barcelona, Spain, is a renowned cement company founded in 1928. With over 75 years of experience in manufacturing cement, Cementos Molins has industrial operations also in Mexico, Argentina, Uruguay, and Tunisia.

Lum Mawshun Minerals Private Limited (LMMPL) was incorporated in 1994 under the Indian Companies Act, 1956. The Foreign Investment Promotion Board of India in the year 1998 granted permission to Lafarge Surma Cement (LSC) to invest 74% in the equity capital of LMMPL. Two Indian Local Partners hold the rest 26% equity shares. LMMPL acquired the land leases and mining rights for setting up the project. Subsequent to the Government of Meghalaya approval, the land leases and the mining rights were transferred to LUMPL.

LUMPL has a Limestone mining lease at village Phlangkaruh, Nongtrai, Shella Confederacy, Sohra Tehsil, District East Khasi Hills, Meghalaya, India over an area of 100 hectares (ha) of land and additional land of 37.6 ha for infrastructure and ancillary activities towards transporting crushed limestone of 2.0 million tonnes per annum from the mining site to the cement plant at Chhatak in Bangladesh through an 17 km elevated Long Belt Conveyor (7 km of which lies within the territory of India and remaining in Bangladesh).

LUMPL provides direct and indirect employment opportunities to of some 350 people in Meghalaya. The local Darbar in Meghalaya also receives an income of around INR 2 crore p.a. of which 70% goes to households and 30% to the village equating to an additional income of INR 106,000 per household per annum. LUMPL makes significant revenue contribution to the State of Meghalaya amounting to INR 190 Million per annum. It also provides foreign currency earnings worth about 22 Million USD per annum.for India arising out of export of limestone